How Is Thalassemia Inherited?

Thalassemia is inherited in an autosomal recessive manner. This means that for an individual to have Thalassemia, they must inherit a mutated gene from both parents. If both parents carry one abnormal gene (are carriers or have Thalassemia trait), there is a 25% chance with each pregnancy that their child will inherit two mutated genes and develop Thalassemia, a 50% chance the child will be a carrier like the parents and a 25% chance the child will inherit normal genes.